When I first read Christiane Northrup’s book Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom and learned about women’s innate connection to the phases of the moon and the rhythms of the earth, I was both haunted and awed by the information I was discovering.
She talked about how women’s energy is not linear like men’s but cyclical, ebbing and flowing through the waxing and waning energies of pre-ovulation, ovulation, pre-menstruation, and menstruation.
Everything clicked for me.
Today I want to talk about how the “Autumn” or waning moon phase of this cycle affects us as women: the premenstrual energy that so many of us struggle with.
Pre-menstruation: The Enchantress archetype, aligned with the waning moon and the energy of Autumn
Once we reach the crescendo of the full moon, its appearance and its energy both start to withdraw.
This is the Autumn energy of our cycle: like the earth at summer’s end, we’re drawing inward, preparing for hibernation.
I tend to feel this inward pull strongly. And it becomes really clear when others try to put demands on me — because I feel edgy and snappy if I don’t protect my time and space.
As hormones shift in the body with the completion of ovulation and preparation for menstruation, we become more introspective and reflective.
It is said that right before menstruation, the veil between the physical and spiritual worlds is thinnest, making the ego take a backseat to the soul.
Whether you’re trying to conceive or not, your waning moon time after ovulation is a natural point to turn within and take stock of how you’ve grown during the past cycle — to sift through your experiences, to journal, to discard what no longer serves you.
The premenstrual Enchantress energy can be emotional, wild, unpredictable, and powerful.
Frustration and anger arise because such a powerful energy is overwhelming when you have no idea how to work in harmony with it.
But if we can pay attention to our powerful feelings during this premenstrual time, they can give insight into the truths we’re unconscious of in the more outward phases of the cycle.
Catch up on all the menstrual-moon cycle phases here:
- Pre-ovulation: The Maiden archetype, aligned with the crescent moon and the energy of Springtime
- Ovulation: The Mother archetype, aligned with the full moon and the energy of Summertime
- Pre-menstruation: The Enchantress archetype, aligned with the waning moon and the energy of Autumn
- Menstruation: The Wise Woman archetype, aligned with the dark of the new moon and the energy of Winter
If you’re awed by this information just like I was, and you want to learn how to integrate it into your life so that you’re optimizing your energy through each phase instead of trying to force yourself into a linear model, check out my Moon Charting Mastery program and learn:
- The exact steps to chart your cycle with the moon (tracking tables included)
- How to connect with your 4 goddess energies — the Maiden, the Mother, the Enchantress, and the Wise Woman — and understand the ways they manifest in your monthly cycle
- How to use your cycle to improve your sex life and your work performance, connect better with your partner, and enhance your spirituality, self-care and health — especially your fertility health